Senior adults have already perfected their roles of raising kids, working and achieving success, and now they move into a much different stage of life which requires them to tap into their own creativity. Senior adulthood involves finding ways to make the most out of their golden years with purposeful and fulfilling activities. These include volunteering, traveling or exploring hobbies such as art, writing or music
By having a sense of purposeful activity at this stage in life, seniors boost their physical health and mental well being. Don't just survive in retirement, thrive in it! Explore these 7 strategies to live a purposeful life in your senior adult years.
Take advantage of your third act!
The golden period for senior adults presents itself as a chance for them to indulge in social connection - connecting with old friends and making new ones too! It is also an opportunity for giving back by leveraging wisdom, experience and skills to serve communities around them.
What does it mean to live a purposeful life?
For many older adults pursuing meaningful activity is important for maintaining purpose in life by engaging in activities such as working part-time; completing formal or informal education courses; intellectually stimulating hobbies like reading or writing; outdoor activities such as walking or gardening; musical or artistic pursuits and family responsibilities such as spending time with grandchildren or assisting adult children with home renovations
- Exercise: Exercise is an essential activity for seniors as it helps to maintain physical and mental health, prevents chronic diseases and increases strength, balance and flexibility. Regular exercise can also help reduce stress, enhance mood and improve sleep patterns.
- Develop Social Connectedness: Senior living often involves social isolation due to limiting factors such as a lack of mobility, loss of friends or family members, disability or illness. Establishing meaningful relationships with peers is important and can be achieved through support groups, volunteering or recreational activities like dancing classes and book clubs.
- Pursue Meaningful Activity: For many older adults pursuing meaningful activity is important for maintaining purpose in life by engaging in activities such as working part-time; completing formal or informal education courses; intellectually stimulating hobbies like reading or writing; outdoor activities such as walking or gardening; musical or artistic pursuits.
- Enjoy Leisure Time: Besides engaging in meaningful activities it’s also important for seniors to enjoy leisure time doing whatever makes them happiest – be it traveling the world, watching movies at home with loved ones, taking a day trip to the beach/forest/mountains or simply doing nothing on a lazy Sunday morning!
- Practice Healthy Habits: Regular checkups are a must for senior citizens along with basic self-care practices such as at least two 30 minute sessions of light exercise daily; eating nutritious food(s) suitable to physical health issue(s); using protection against severe weather conditions (when outdoors); avoiding smoking/drinking alcohol excessively and getting sufficient restful sleep each night.
- Connecting With Nature: Seniors (like all humans) benefit from connecting with nature as it has been shown to reduce stress levels, sharpen memory and encourage creativity – this could involve local parks/playgrounds nearby that have interesting plants/animals to explore; vacation trips out into nature if mobility permits; visiting botanical gardens if nearby; tending container garden from home or participating in gardening programs outside (with suitably complex tasks).
- Mental Stimulation & Creative Pursuits: Older adults should continue challenges their minds regularly so they don’t become complacent with daily routines - this could involve learning new skills related to art, music, theater etc.; playing chess/pub Quiz / Bridge/ Mahjong games that stimulate cognitive thinking processes ; keep up digital technology skills (optional) ; volunteer & participate in forums that talk about current affairs, etc.
Caring Transitions offers compassionate assistance with downsizing and estate sales. Learn more about how we can take the load off your shoulders and help make the process seamless for you or your loved one.